NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Argiope
Name: Dianne F

Question:
Greetings. We have enjoyed watching an argiope in our garden all summer. My two sons, 2 & 5, have learned quite a bit about spiders as we have watched her spin her web, eat, and "bounce" whenever we excite her. Yesterday, she seemed to disappear but reappeared today in a different local. I then noticed her egg sack hanging near her old web.

I would like to "capture" the egg sack somehow (possibly for my son's new kindergarden class) and watch and wait (mostly wait) for the baby spiders to emerge in the spring. Is this possible? I am concerned about what type of environment to put it in and when they do come out, how can I contain them without suffocating them.

On behalf of my son Ivan, and his teacher, any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply, I hope this is still useful. Argiope's overwinter in the egg sac, you could probably collect it and keep it in a cool place over winter, then put it out in a warmer place in April or May, and with luck, watch the spiders emerge. If you do keep the egg sac, be sure it stays cool so the spiders do not emerge in winter, and let them out into a suitable habitat very soon after they come out.