NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fish Scale Chemistry
Name: Theresa G.

Question:
what are the contents of fish scales? I want to know what are the different compounds in fish scales as I am going to do a project on them. Thank you.

I am going to guess that most of the fish scale is built from proteins...probably not too dissimilar to keratin, but I would check an ichthyology book.

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Science Education
Office of Science
Department of Energy

They are mostly a protein called keratin. This is the protein that makes up horns, claws (fingernails), hair, and feathers.

A fisheries biologist tells me there are few studies on scales; the best he can tell me is that they are from 41% to 84% organic protein (collagen and ichthylepidin) and the remainder mineral residue and inorganic salts like magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate.