NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Decay of Bodies
Name: Patrice M.

Question:
How long does it take for an embalmed body to decay? Does it poison the earth around it as it decomposes?

I am not a mortician but I believe that the methods used these days to preserve bodies prevents significant decay for quite a while. Not only is the body embalmed, which prevents microbial decay, but the coffin is airtight and there is usually (often?) a cement crypt around the coffin. Besides the organisms that are buried with the deceased (on the body and in the coffin already) it is difficult for decomposers to get at the body. I do not have an exact figure for you though.