NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Non-Hibernating Snakes
Name: Gabriel I.

Question:
Hi, I was talking with my mom one day, and we were talking about snakes, the conversation turned towards snow snakes, so my question is: is there such a thing a snakes that do not hibernate in the winter?

I also have searched the web and found that snow snakes was once a game for children, but I just want to know if there is really such a thing a snow snakes.

Okay. I do not know much about snakes, but I can bet that snakes in tropical areas (where there is not much of a cold winter) do not hibernate.

The only snow snakes I have heard of are the ones that wait on ski slopes for an unsuspecting skier (like me), and then grab his skis as he goes past. Plop! Down goes the skier. It happens to me quite frequently,(well, it did when I lived where I could go skiing) but I have not actually SEEN any of those little snow snakes yet. I guess their camouflage is very good. Seriously, though, I have never heard of an actual snow snake.

Dear Gabriel, there is no such thing as a snow snake. All snakes either hibernate or move to warmer climes during the winter. A "snow snake" refers to a tree branch just covered with snow. On wintery camp outs, the older kids always frightened the younger ones with cautions about the "snow snakes". The old hands also sent the rookies off in search of left-hand smoke chimneys to keep the smoke out of the campsite.

Cherie