NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Aortic Calcification
Name: Ann H.

Question:
A friend of mine ( 45 year old male who does not smoke or drink but has family hx of heart disease) recently died and his autopsy stated the cause of death as Aortic Calcification. Does this mean he had a heart attack due to the calcification causing malfunction or what?

Calcification of the aorta will decrease its ability to distend when the heart pumps on each beat...I cannot say for sure from the meager information provided but my guess is his aorta blew out which for young people who die of heart attacks is not that unusual.

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Office of Science
Department of Energy

I have not heard of this condition per se. The aorta is the main artery leaving the heart. It is very elastic because it has to pump a huge amount of blood under great amounts of pressure to all parts of the body. If it becomes calcified, it hardens and perhaps it couldn't expand efficiently enought to supply enough blood, fast enough to all parts of the body.