NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Human Tails?
Name: Kasandra

Question:
What are the human "tails" made of? I also wanted to know where most of the humans discovered to have these tails have come from(city, state, or region) and what the possible cause of this phenomenon is? This information will be used to prove to a elementary school teacher that human "tails" are real!

Hi,

Human tails? I'm assuming you mean the extension of the caudal vertebrae outside the skin at birth. One person I worked with was born with a "tail" that was rectified with minor surgery. Humans are not born with long tails, but rather an extension of the vertebrae to form what could be described as a "tail", I guess.

In any case, this is a rare occurrence! I spoke to a group of nurses once and they had never witness a baby born with a tail. However, I did see a medical journal or text with pictures and I must admit, it was not a big deal.

The cause is probably (but I do not know for sure) a genetic flaw or developmental problem. Minor in any case.

You are not going to find someone walking around the streets with a tail hidden under their shorts!!

Hi Kasandra!

See...the human species do not has tails. In animals the tail is a prolongation of the vertebral column, and internaly is made of vertebrae (bones) covered by skin and coat. Our cousins, the monkeys, still have tails because they need them, to pick up things, to help climbing and equilibrium. As the primates evoluted toward an erect species they lost their "tail" , they no longer needs it. It is possible and it so happens that by some " nature error" like a deformed gene, some human beeing is born with a small prolongation after the coccix bone that looks like a "tail". Some are made of bone and some are just pieces of muscle, cartilage or tissues. Nowadays if this unfortunately happens to a baby, usually these "tails" are surgically taken away.

There are no relationship of place of birth and that malformation.

Thanks for asking NEWTON! And tell your friends about it!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)