NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Spawning Walleyes
Name: John D.

Question:
Living on a small Southern Michigan inland lake, I am looking for a strain of walleyes that live in lakes that have no streams or rivers in which to spawn. It is my understanding that the success in spawning in inland lakes will increase with a strain of walleyes that have have lived in that situation. I have read several articles indicating that the success rate of spawning will go from under 10% to approximately 25% with lake specific fish. The hatchery operators all seem to obtain their eggs from fish that would naturally spawn in a river. Any ideas?

John,

It is true that walleye populations occurring in lakes with no access to stream habitat for spawning will eventually adapt to the existing lake conditions. We have had some natural reproduction in walleye at two Forest Preserve District of Cook County lakes, Tampier Lake and Busse Reservoir. Walleye strains that are able to successfully reproduce in mud bottom lakes have been developed in Arizona and Iowa. Shoreline rip-rap and submersed rock or gravel can provide suitable habitat for spawning, however siltation within the lake is probably the most crucial criteria that will limit spawning success.

If the person inquiring about these walleye intends to try to keep a self-reproducing walleye population going in a small lake he will probably not have much luck. My advise would be to try to provide the best possible spawning habitat such as rock cobble from 2" to 8" in diameter with 40%-50% in the 6" range in 3 to 8 feet of water. Supplemental stocking of walleye fry or fingerlings every year or two would also be recommended.

Chris Merenowicz
Supt. of Conservation/Fisheries Biologist
Forest Preserve District of Cook County