NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Molting
Name: J. S.
Date:1999-2001

Question:
I have found a blue jay that has only one tail feather. May have been a cat. Will the tail feathers come back. I have him in a large cage with card board around it. He can jump and hop. Any ideas on what should be done.

The tail feathers will grow back. However it is not a good idea, and is in fact a violation of the migratory bird regulations of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, for you to keep the bird even with the best of intentions. Locate a licensed wildlife rescue or rehabilitation service in your area by contacting your state natural resources agency, a local nature center or audubon chapter or similar resource, to find out what you should do to give the bird the best chance of surviving.