NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Ticks
Name: erin

Question:
One of our dogs played host to two ticks that went undetected. They each swelled to about the size of a marble and fell off of the dog onto a ceramic tiled kitchen floor. My husband squashed the ticks to kill them, but I'm concerned that we may now have an infestation problem if eggs squirted out with the blood. What precautions do we need to take at this point?

Ticks lay eggs like other arthropods and there would not be any danger of eggs or more ticks arising from the blood. Other than regularly checking the dog and yourselves for ticks when you come in from outside I doubt you have anything to worry about.