NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gill Slits on Humans
Name: Inge

Question:
I know of a child (1.5 years) with gill slits and knobs near the clavicula. This child is not my own but of a neighboring friend who turned to me (as a veterinarian we are often easier to ask questions than the physicians, we may be more understanding? I don't know. But I've taken it upon me to find out more about these nodules and gill-slits) for some answers. Her physiian has said to know nothing of it and to look on internet (he is obviously not interested enough to do his own research)

I can understand your hesitance to give direct answers to #4 but posibly an answer to #2 would be very helpful....thankyou!!

1.we hear that this may have impact on the kidneys, is this true and what can we expect?

2.where can we find more information on this topic?

3.what other complications may concur with this problem?

4.can you advise at which age this can best be operated?

Barring some sort of known genetic syndrome which would be listed on the human genome or a cytogenetic's home page this sounds like an embryological developmental problem of uncertain etiology. These type of developmental anomalies, as you know, are usually unclear as to their origin. That is usually the reason for the silence from the medical profession.

PF

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Office of Science
Department of Energy