NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Birds Mating in Flight
Name: Marcel

Question:
The other day I saw two gulls chasing each other as they flew, and one suddenly "attached" itself to the other, as though to mate. They continued flying in this way for several seconds. It is March and still cold and snowy here in Quebec. What behaviour was I witnessing? Do birds mate in flight?

Many bird species do mate in flight. Some hawks, swifts and others do. I'm not certain of gulls, but i believe they may.