NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Raising Wild Birds
Name: Regina

Question:
A student just brought me what he believes to be Blue Jay eggs (2). I have candled them and one is alive. I have only hatched chicken and duck eggs, so I do not know how to tell how far along the fetus is. It appears to take up about 2/3 of the shell. The other egg does not appear to be viable, but I have placed it in the incubator anyway until I am sure. What I need to know is what temperature do I need and how long is the incubation period if it is indeed a Blue Jay egg. Do they need to be turned like chicken and duck eggs? When should I stop turning it? Is there a web site you know of that could help me?

Yes, they need to be turned just like Chicken eggs. However, you will doom the bird when it hatches for Blue Jays need to have their parents attend to them in order to survive. Wild birds make poor pets as a rule. I would reconsider the entire project. This is why there will not be information on the web.