NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Brainless with a Medula
Name: Charlie A.

Question:
There are, I am told, people without brains (above the medula oblongata(sp?). In each story, the person without a brain is supposed to be very intelligent. Has there ever been a report of a sighted 'brainless' person whose optic nerves aren't attached to anything?

This doesn't make sense to me. The area of the brain where sight is sensed is in the occipital lobe which is part of the cerebrum ( the "noodle-y" area above the medulla) If there is no cerebrum, there is no capacity for conscious thought, so I'm skeptical about people being intelligent without it. Also, if there is no brain, even with functioning optic nerves, there is no sensation of sight. So in reality the person would be blind. People without cerebrums, but with medullas, are said to be ancephalic, which literally means "without a brain". They can breathe, and their heart beats because these functions are controlled by the medulla but they aren't capable of conscious thought.

VanHoeck