NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bird Mating
Name: Douglas

Question:
My wife asked me how birds mate... and, besides "on the fly", I didn't have an answer! Do you?

The Discovery Channel is the place to see this. Also, any ornithology book will explain it all in detail. male and female birds have pretty much the same anatomy whewreby you can not tell the sexes by looking unless the sexes are dimorphic (males look different than the females). They join their cloaca and sperm is pressed into the female. You may know that the cloaca excretes all wastes.

The bottom line: The "cloaca kiss".