NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Muscle Cramps
Name: Brett

Question:
What is the cause of muscle cramps?

Brett,

I cannot comment on the exact physiology which leads to muscle cramps, but I can give you one observer's 'cause'. In my case, when I am lacking calcium (either when I run out of milk and don't get to the store or simply do not drink enough) I can be almost guaranteed to have leg cramps that or the next evening.

Someone else here should be able to provide you with the smaller details of the cramps.

Ric Rupnik