NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sweat Efficiency
Name:  Pebble
Status:  educator
Age:  30s

Question:
We are discussing properties of water in my AP class, and the same questions have come up in two classes. Is it true that as you become more fit you sweat more efficiently (and therefore more)? If it is true, why?

I would not say that anyone sweats "more efficiently" but when people have more muscle mass their ability to utilize food and generate energy increases placing the coolong mechanism under the gun to respond...so generally people that have more tone and muscle mass per unit body in relation to their body size, fat, etc will sweat more when they exercise.

PF