NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Eye Color Genetics
Name: LInda

Question:
My husband and I both have hazel eyes. Our 13 y/o son also has hazel eyes and our 10 y/o daughter has dark brown eyes. Our son has stated that his science teacher says this is impossible because we (my husband and I) both have recessive genes. Is she right?

I have never heard that hazel is recessive. We actually know a little more about how eye color is inherited now. Most traits are not just a result of single genes. We were always taught that brown eyes is dominant to blue (usually no mention of gray, hazel, etc.) and that if a child inherits two blue genes, the eyes will be blue. But is there only one color of blue? If you line up 10 people with blue eyes, you probably will have 10 different shades of blue! So it is probably more likely that many genes determine eye color. So I wouldn't worry.

Van Hoeck

Eye color has been deternmined to be the result of at least 8 genes. This does include a number of genes that modify eye color either by color tinting or by the iris patterns that is talked about so much that seems to be like finger prints. This means that eye color is not a simple topic any longer.

sds