NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Preventing Moles
Name:  John
Status:  other
Age:  50s

Question:
If I were to try using an underground barrier to prevent moles from being a nuisance in a limited area, how deep would I need to bury it. I could not find any information detailing how deep the various types of runs are in your interesting article on the mole's habits.

My plan is to dig a trench and bury hardware cloth to prevent the little guys from getting in and creating air pockets around the plants I put in the planting area. We are experiencing an unusually dry summer and the moles seem to be attractd to any place we water. I would be happy to report our success with this measure if you like.

Thank you.

4-6 inches will do...but milky spore works better...interrupts the feeding source

PF