NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Duck Feet
Name:  eileen
Status:  educator
Age:  50s

Question:
I read the answer to the question about duck's feet and have been told that this is because ducks actually produce a form of ethylene glycol in their feet. Have I been taken or does someone know if this is true? I have eaten duck feet in Chinese restaurants and they are definitely sweet ( as is ethylene glycol) Any idea?

Eileen

Question in archives- Why don't birds' feet freeze in winter? I'm not sure about all birds, but ducks have what is known as a counter current heat exchange mechanism in their legs and feet. Warmth flows from more warmth to less warmth naturally. As blood flows down the legs from the body it meets with colder blood coming back up and the warmth flows into the colder part of the foot.

K. Van Hoeck