NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Heat Stroke
Name:  Juan
Status:  educator
Age:  30s

Question:
I am the bilingual health educator for the City of Irving in Texas. As part of my education efforts, I teach our Sanitation crews how not to get Heat Stroke. My questions are:

1. Is it better to drink cold water than hot water when a person get dehydrated due to Heat Stroke?

2. Are there any colors better than others to wear in outside clothing, for example our staff wear dark blue working slacks with long sleeve light blue shirts or Neon Orange T-shirts with Blue Jeans. Do you have a better color combinantion to repel heat and help in less perspiration.

Although it might seem to the person that cold water is better and we should never discount the subliminal effects of "feeling better" because of a perceived benefit (the placebo effect)the temperature of the water by numerous studies and through computation of the possible change in body temperature from imbibed water has shown that the temperature of the imbibed water is of no discernable consequence to body temperature. BUT physiologically, water which is closer to internal body temperature leaves the stomach mosre quickly and is less likely to cause gastrointestinal distress. Lots of cold water can cause cramping and even diarrhea which is the last thing a heat stroke candidate needs. So, summing up...drinking water between 70 F and 100 F is probably best.

2. Are there any colors better than others to wear in outside clothing, for example our staff wear dark blue working slacks with long sleeve light blue shirts or Neon Orange T-shirts with Blue Jeans. Do you have a better color combination to repel heat and help in less perspiration.

Light fitting light colored (white is best but you might be mistaken for a hospital orderly) cotton clothing. White because it reflect light and cotton because it feels good and breaths. Also a brimmed hat is an excellent idea. When I am in the desert I have a desert hat which I wet as often as I can and it keeps my head cool...very important to keep a cool head.

Peter Faletra