NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Stag Beetle
Name:  Kathryn
Status:  other
Age:  30s

Question:
Hello! I'm trying to figure out what in God's name was in my condo last night & can't seem to find anything! The closest I came was the click beetle. This "thing" was about 1-1/4" long, black, antennae coming out the top of the head & had thick "pinchers" by it's mouth that were seraded 3 times on each pincher and was definately hard shell. I believe the body was in 3 parts with the middle part being smaller that the head but it was mostly "rear end".

My cat wouldn't even mess with this thing!

I killed it - but what is it? Where did it come from? Should I be looking for more?

I live in a large condominium complex in Willowbrook, IL and I am on the top (2nd floor) if that means anything to you!

Possibly a stag beetle, quite harmless, though how it got into your second floor apartment I don't know, they are usually on the ground. Without seeing it I wouldn't want to say for sure.

There are too many species of beetles to keep track of, even if one is an entomologist, but I will guess that from your description you have a "stag beetle".

peter f