NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Insect Bites
Name: Unknown

Question:
I was biten by a mosquito (?) or a small flying insect in my arm near the wrist today during mountain hikes at Pacific NW in the Olympic Penisula. A small raised dot just like a regular mosquito bite swelled to 1.5 inch diameter and warm in about 1 hour.

Does it mean the bite is poisonous? And to what extend? Any disease that can link to this type of bite? I am very attracted to mosquitos but never swelled like this.

Thank you,
lee

The swelling and warmth that can develop around a bug bite is your body's own immune defenses going to the rescue to kill anything that doesn't belong there. A strong immune response doesn't necessarily mean that a bite is poisonous.

In some geographic areas, mosquitoes can carry diseases like malaria or Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus. I'm not sure what (if anything) tends to be transmitted by mosquitoes in the Pacific Northwest. If you're concerned, see your doctor.

---------
Christine Ticknor
Ph.D. Student
Yale University
New Haven, Connecticut