NEWTON: Height of Cumulus Clouds

NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Height of Cumulus Clouds

Name: Jenn

Question:
Hello, would I be pretty accurate if I estimate the height of the lowest layer of cumulus clouds using the difference between outside temp and dew point temp F divided by 4.4? Would that give me the lowest layer even if its considered to be FEW Octas?

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the question. There should be no need to estimate the height of the layer of cumulous clouds. This data should be available on the Internet at the NOAA web site, or even on aviation web sites.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell

Hi Jenn,

Yes, in terms of relative height. No, in terms of true height from sea level. The formula you are using is a limited use one for pilots. They are not concerned about true altitude, just relative altitude(the local cloud cover). The following calculates the true altitude, accounting for the altitude of measurement. Altitude Base Cloud(ABC) is calculated where T = temperature, Dp = dewpoint, ALTm = altitude of the measurement point. ABC = ((T - Dp) / 4.5) * 1000 + ALTm

This formula is from U. Cal, San Diego

http://aerosols.ucsd.edu/classes/sio217a/sio217a-F8Lecture06b.pdf

There is an on line calculator that may be of help at

http://www.csgnetwork.com/estcloudbasecalc.html

Hoping this helps! Peter E. Hughes, Ph.D. Milford, NH