NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rain and Polar Ice Cover
Name: Alexander

Question:
I have been told that there will be a major increase in rain, but I am not certain if it is weather all over the world or just the common areas. Is this related to the vast amounts of melting ice on the poles?

Alexander,

A consequence of global warming would be a slight increase in water vapor in the air. This, plus likely further drying of already dry regions (like deserts and semi-arid areas) would shift more precipitation to areas that already receive sufficient precipitation.

However, the increases in precipitation are likely to be small, not a major increase.

Climate Research Section
Environmental Science Division