NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Weather Relationships
Name: Steve

Question:
I'm currently studying for my private pilot's license and while I get some of the basics of weather, I'd rather be a safer pilot by understanding how it actually works. I know that air flows from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure, and that while temperature increases are directly proportional to pressure increases in a closed container, the atmosphere doesn't work that way.

What I get confused about, however, is the relations between barometric pressure, temperature, troughs and ridges. If cold air forms high pressure areas because it is heavier, why isn't barometric always higher when it's colder? Is this because of the water vapor in the air that could cause it to be lighter than dry, hot air? When they mean high pressure areas, are those that are high in general, or are they just higher than the air masses surrounding us, and lastly, are highs always going to be cool air descending? I don't see how we could have a high of hot air, since hot air always rises.

Steve,

Confusion about this is normal. High and low pressure systems are high and low in relative terms. A low pressure system has lower pressure than an adjoining high pressure system. The pressure in either of these (highs and lows) has a tremendous range: for the center of highs the range can be anything from 970 to 1100 millibars and for lows it can be anything from 890 (strong hurricane) to 990 millibars You'll note that there is some overlap in the ranges.

High pressure occurs because there is more atmosphere (and therefore more weight of air) in the column of air above.

Low pressure occurs because there is less atmosphere (and >therefore less weight of air) in the column of air above. Air moves from higher to lower pressure, as you say. Because there is less air in the low pressure system column, air from a high pressure area tends to flow towards it at the surface, feeding into the low pressure center. Therefore, the air in a high pressure area is generally descending. That's why continuous decks of clouds are suppressed in highs. The air needs to rise to cool and produce clouds. So in highs, only small scale, locally rising thermal plumes of air can produce clouds (cumulous).

In lows, air is being pulled into it at the surface and the air is rising, attempting to equalize pressure (in other words, equalize the weight of air) with adjoining high pressure areas. The rising air leads to continuous cloud decks and sometimes violent thunderstorms embedded in cold fronts.

Highs and lows as we know them would not exist if it weren't for the rotation of the Earth. The rotation causes turning of the atmosphere over the Earth's surface. The strength of that turning depends largely on the difference in pressure between adjoining low and high pressure areas; that difference is the main forcing element. However, horizontal temperature gradients are also very important. The temperature gradients don't always line up with pressure gradients, as you mentioned, primarily because temperature gradients are basically the consequence of a north to south difference in solar radiation received in the atmosphere and at the Earth's surface. This results in differential heating (generally greater at the equator than at the poles). The pressure gradients generally result from the turning of the large air masses by the Earth's rotation.

The temperature in each of these systems is almost irrelevant, as you can see that the air in the center of high pressure areas tends to be colder than lows in the winter, whereas in summer the opposite is often true.

Warm fronts lead movements of warm air (usually moving northward or eastward, in the northern hemisphere), whereas cold fronts trail from low pressure centers. Warm air tends to move towards (and over) cold air in front of it, thereby allowing cold air to fill in from behind. The low pressure center forms and further develops at the point of lowest pressure (least weight of air) in a trough (which is just an elongated area of pressure that is lower than the adjoining areas on either side). A cold front tends to form in the trough, since warm air is usually to the east and cold air is to the west. A ridge is just an elongated area of higher pressure, analogous to a trough of lower pressure. Troughs and low pressure centers often form below the jet stream, a result of the jet causing air to tend to rise underneath it.

With that as background let's get to your specific questions.

From the discussion above, you can see that cold air doesn't form high pressure areas because it is heavier (it is only denser, meaning that there are more air molecules per volume). The total amount of molecules in the column above determines the pressure.

Water vapor does displace dry air molecules, making the air less dense (this is a small effect), but again, it's the total amount of molecules in the column above that determines the pressure.

You ask, "when they mean high pressure areas, are those that are high in general, or are they just higher than the air masses surrounding us?" You can see from the general discussion above that it is the latter of your two statements. High and low pressure is relative to the pressures of the air masses that are adjoining.

You ask, "are highs always going to be cool air descending? I don't see how we could have a high of hot air, since hot air always rises." As you can see from what I wrote above, the air in a high is descending no matter what the temperature is in it; it's weight is actually causing it to compress the air (over all) in the high. This causes elevated inversions, sometimes at several altitudes, from daily surface inversions that are carried upwards during the following morning. When air is descending in general, obviously it cannot rise. Instead, as the surface of the Earth is warmed during the daylight hours, the air above it is warmed, the air expands, and the high pressure area grows slightly in height.

All the air has done is became less dense, not less heavy, so the tendency is for the air to still want to descend. In the summertime, this process can create huge, stable, and expanding (both vertically and horizontally) high pressure areas which can become hot, humid and smothering.

Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division