NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Atmospheric Tides
Name: Leigh B.

Question:
Everyone is aware of the influence of the moon on ocean tides.

I assume that the moon also creates an atmospheric tide. Is this so and does a regular atmospheric pressure cycle appear on a barograph?

Further, does ground water rise and fall in a well in a cyclic fashion? Might this account for farmers "planting by the moon" because of higher levels of moisture in the soil at certain times?

Leigh,

The atmosphere is affected to a very slight degree by the Moon. It is so small as to be indistinguishable in a standard barograph record.

Ground water does not form one elastic liquid medium, being part of the soil, so I suspect that it does not rise and fall in a well in response to the movements of the Moon, but I will defer to a hydrologist for a definitive answer.

Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division