NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Air Pressure Charts
Name: Mike

Question:
Assuming standard day conditions, what is the air pressure at 6200 feet in psi? If I remember my high school physics it is 14.7 psi at sea level. Are there tables or charts that show the relationship of air pressure to altitude factoring in variables such as temperature and relative humidity?

Mike -

Let me answer part of your question.

If you use inches of mercury (29.92 in hg is standard) you can subtract one inch of mercury for each thousand feet up to about 18,000 feet and be fairly accurate. For your 6200 feet this would be 6.2 in hg less... 23.72 in hg. If you wanted to make it PSI you could set up the ratio and convert it. Hope this helps.

Mike,

PSI units are not ordinarily used for atmospheric pressure, mb (millibars) are. Sea level pressure is approximately 1013 mb, or 14.7 PSI (as you said). Atmospheric pressure in the lower part of the atmosphere drops approximately 10 mb in 100 meters. For 6200 feet (1889.8 meters) the pressure drops to 824 mb, or 11.95 PSI. This is an approximation of course, as various weather patterns and conditions can cause it to be somewhat different.

Atmospheric Section
Environmental Research Division