NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Weather Resources
Name: Carol

Question:
I am writing a lesson for grades 4-7 that focuses on prehistoric land use. I want the students to research historic weather (high and low temperatures and precip.) for their area so that they can learn about growing season.

Is there a source for this type of data on the internet. I'd like to list this as a possible resource. If this is not a realistic possibility, is there a process that I can list for scudent to use other than looking at old newspapers. Some students live in small towns in New Mexico. Information access may be difficult.

Carol,

I can suggest a couple of places to find the information that you are looking for. Intellicast has an almanac page with weather records at www.intellicast.com/Almanac. Pick a month and you will get a general description of the weather in the United States for the month, followed by links to separate regions of the country. The links give some historical weather events and high/low temperatures and precipitation average for the month for a number of reporting stations in the region.

The Weather Channel also has a good almanac page as part of their travel info. at www.weather.com/travelwise/leisure/almanac. There are links there to climate information for individual cities in the regions.

These two sites are great information for your students.

David Cook