NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Kitten and Adult Food

Name: Nina
Grade: n/a
Location: NY

Question:
My aunt has 2 cats. One is a grown-up and one is a kitten (11 months old) and she is supposed to be eating kitten food, but the other cat eats it, and my aunt is feeding both of them regular food. Is that healthy for the kitten and does it affect her?

Hi Nina,

Thanks for the question. Let me first say that I am not a veterinarian. I suspect that feeding both cats "regular food" will not harm them. A growing cat (kitten) needs more protein as it is growing rapidly while the adult cat is not. As long as there is sufficient food available, I would not be concerned.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jeff

In an ideal world, the adult cats should eat "adult cat" food and kittens should eat "kitten food". At 11 months, a "kitten" is real close to a cat. So, it reality, it does not matter now that the "kitten" is 11 months old. Both kitten and adult cats will be fine. I have had cats all my life, and the food we feed them if it nutritionally balanced and not too much ash, will be just fine. I would avoid table food. Remember, cats are carnivous and like protein (meat/fish). They do not do well eating grains. Make sure they have free water available and wet food and they will do very well. Dry food is OK, but canned meat and fish is better since many dry foods contain cereal which adds calories

S. Dunn

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive