NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dove Behavior
Name: Ana
Grade: Old

Question:
I just bought another dove for my other dove so she wont be lonely and as soon as i put the new dove in the cage my old one started makeing a weird cooing noise like i screaming mixed with a coo and then the old one started biting the new ones beak. The the old one would try and stand on the new one and just sit there. What is wrong with my old dove?

Ana,

I don't have an exact answer for this, except to say I would check with the pet store owner where you purchased the dove, to verify that the cage you have is large enough for the pets you own, i.e. you *might* need a larger cage.

It might be common for a single pet to react the way you describe when a new one is introduced. I know my dog did not exactly welcome a new puppy into the household. Whether it is due to space, food, or affection limitations, the new pet will have to learn to accept the new one. If the space is sufficient, i would continue to observe the behavior. Because I recently purchased 4 finches, and, I wanted a variety, I was going to buy 4 different types. The clerk warned me that in the case of the finches, not all varieties get along well together. Ultimately, I only bought 2 types that are known to get along, but I looked for variation in their appearance rather than choosing different species.

In the case of your doves, there might be an option of having 2 cages sitting side by side so the two doves can become accustomed to one another. If you do this, you might eventually be able to move them in together...this, assuming they can and will get along. Be careful to check on them when they are together so neither of them becomes injured through their interaction.

Again, the pet shop owner or clerk should be the best person to consult on this, and they may be able to steer you to internet resources that explain the behavior of your particular doves.

Ric
Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive