NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Horse Longevity
Name: Victoria
Grade: Other

Question:
Is it possible that a horse can live for over 50 years? Because there is a very famous horse called Hidalgo who I think is about 80 is that possible?

Hello Victoria!

It is very rare for a horse to live to be 50 - although it has happened!! I think you might be miss lead about the horse that lived to be 80 - I think the oldest horse ever lived was around 62 - and that one died in the 1800s. Most horses live to be 20 to 25 years old, so that might give you a better idea of how old a 50 year old horse would be!!

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Susannah Sample
University of Wisconsin
Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive