NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cat Purr
Name: NICOLE
Age: Other
Location:OK

Question:
I HAVE 2 CATS FROM THE SAME LITTER, ONE OF THEN PURRS THE OTHER DOESNT. MY QUESTION IS: MY CAT IS ALMOST 3 YRS OLD AND I HAVE NEVER HEARD HER PURR. I DONT THINK SHE CAN. EVEN WHEN SHE IS IN A LOVEABLE MOOD SHE NEVER PURRS. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH HER? OR DO SOME CATS JUST NOT EVER PURR?

Dear Nicole

I am not a zoologist but i am a cat lover and a good observer, so that is how i will try to answer your question.

Purring is a beautiful behaviour characteristic of many felines not only domestic kitties. It has been described as a low, continous hum and it is usually interpreted as a expression of pleasure and love.Some specialists say purring is also showed in situation of extreme pain or stress. Some cats purr always, others never do it. When it not purrs this has no conotation with any abnormality of the animal. Some scientists say that purring is teached by the mothers calling their litter to breast feed them.Your pets are against that explanation since they belong to the same litter. I am sure somebody else has a more scientific explanation.

Thanks for asking NEWTON!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive