NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Field Mice and Lyme Disease
Name: Amy 

Question:
I think my son's dog captured a field mice. We saved it's life but were wondering if it was a smart think to keep it. It's the size of a half dollar,grey, round nosed and long hind legs. What do you think we should do? If we do keep it, how do we make sure this is what it is? What to feed it? It might be a baby?

I can't tell you what it is, but I'd say it's wiser to return it to the field once it's healthy enough. That's where it's supposed to live. If you want a pet mouse, you can go to a pet store and rescue one from the reptile feeding room.

And yes, field mice can carry Lyme Disease, and rarely Hantavirus.

Phillip Raclyn, DVM CVA

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive