NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Panting Puppy
Name: Linda M.

Question:
I have a six month old Siberian Husky. Lately I have noticed that when he is laying down, sleeping or awake, he sometimes breathes very rapidly. This is not after playing or running. It just does not seem normal to me. Is this just something that puppies do, or should I be concerned?

It is normal. Do not worry.... that is to say, presuming he has no underlying heart problem.

But most dogs and puppies do that... it is the way they cool themselves down. And Huskies always need to cool themselves down.

Phillip Ralcyn, DVM CVA

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive