NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dander
Name: Doreen O.
Date: May 11, 2002 

Question:
Hello. I was wanting to know if a moth`s wings have a dander on them such as birds. I have a bull terrier that is allergic to dander. We have been doing a good job of keeping him well, however last night he was exposed to several moths, and this morning his feet were swollen 4 times there normal size. I know this sounds stupid but the moths were the only thing he came in contact with.

As far as I know, dander is protein left on the cat's fur that is put there from saliva, when the cat grooms itself. So although moths may have their own dander, it is unlikely that it is the same dander that your dog is allergic to.

However, he may be allergic to the grass he was in, even if it is the same ole grass, because this is springtime and many grasses and trees are pollinating, and the pollen is on the ground.

Phillip Raclyn, DVM CVA

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive