NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Licking Dogs
Name: Steve G.
Date: April 21, 2002 

Question:
Why does a dog lick humans most of the time? Is this a show of affection or is something else?

It is their way of exploring the world. Much in the same way, human children put everything into their mouths as well. I presume dogs can pick up a lot more information from what they touch with their tongues than we could. But I think it is also a sign of affection, as anyone with a dog can tell you. It is rare not to see a dog wagging its tail when he or she is licking someone he or she loves.

Phillip Raclyn, DVM CVA

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive