NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fruit Bat Histoplasmosis
Name: Cynthia L.

Question:
Hello,

We are having a problem with Fruit Bats using our tree in our front yard as a resting place as they fly around during the night. We wake up in the morning with Bat feces in a semi-circle under our tree.

We have been told one main thing to be concerned with is the Air Virus "Histoplasmosis" ...is this true or is there anything else besides this virus we should be concerned with? Also, we have had a company called Wildlife Solutions, a North America's Animal Control Authority to come to our home and stated that they are 90% sure that they are Fruit Bats by the condition and look of the feces ... they sprayed the area with a high powered solutions to neutralize the area. This is the unusual thing about all of this.. I live in South Carolina. We have been told that Fruit Bats in this area is virtually impossible.. However, I believe nothing is impossible when it comes to nature. We also need to know how to keep the bats out of our tree, especially with the air virus and the bat's toxic waste in our front yard.

I am writing for some help as I can not seem to find anyone that either cares about this matter or has much information that can help us. We felt that our Department of Health would be interested in these facts as to what is going on and if in fact they are fruit bats... supposedly not to be common to the area, it should be checked out.

I found your web site while I was doing some research on this subject. Any help or information you can give me will be so greatly appreciated..plus I am disabled could be very susceptible to the Virus.

Rebecca,

I will not try to diagnose your situation from a distance, and area (northern Illinois) much different than yours. Your first step should be to contact your state wildlife agency, a nature center in your area, or some other knowledgeable, reputable resource to correctly identify the animals. I find it unlikely that fruit bats would be a problem in South Carolina. These same folks should be able to help you, or direct you to the proper source, with control measures.

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive