NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Einstein and Time
Name: C.D.

Question:
I have read in a few items that I have found on the net in which physicists that are in a struggle to unify quantum mechanics and Einstein's general theroy of relativity have found hints that the universe maybe timeless, while some seem to predict that particles may be caused by "geons" or warps/kinks in space-time. R.B. Fuller of synergetics suggest that time is an experience. While Einstein hints that time is only relative to the individual observer.

Absolute space is a little hard for me to grasp but lets say this does exist on the other side of a expanding universe and we look at a (unknown) big bang to create a universe. Before the big bang took place I would think that there would have had to be some type of existance to cause the big bang.

Are time and existance synonymous ?

Could one suggest a expanding and or a finte universe (bound by time) being infite in a absolute space ?

And for a absolute space to exist can this as well be bound by time being infinte?

thanks
cdf

No, they are not synonymous. A necessary condition for existence is to be a nonmember of the class of things which do not exist, the latter being defined as all things, events, etc. the behaviour of which is inconsistent with one or more physical laws. No one knows whether this condition is sufficient as well.

Time, on the other hand, is that coordinate the value of which defines causality. If t_1 < t_2, then an event at t_1 may (but need not) cause an event at t_2, otherwise, it cannot.

Grayce