NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Magnetism: Matter or Non-matter?

Question:
Is magnetism matter or non matter? Can you give me some proof?

Magnetism is understood to be a property of matter that is characteristic of a particular material in a particular physical state. I'm not sure what kind of proof I can give you of this, except to remind you that objects can be magnetized and demagnetized. So this is a property that comes or goes depending on what state the magnetizable material is in.

best regards,

topper

Let me give you some experiments to perform:

First, ask yourself what it means to be 'matter'. One property of matter is that it cannot pass through solid matter, such as wood, glass, or paper. Try putting a strong magnet on one side of a piece of paper or cardboard. Does the magnet affect iron placed on the other side of the paper?

Another property of matter is that it cannot be created or destroyed by normal means (that is, without a nuclear reaction). For this experiment you will need a compass (for finding the north pole), a few feet of insulated wire, and a battery. Strip the insulation from about 1/2 inch at each end of the wire. Wind the wire around a pencil or some other small cylinder to make a coil. Place the compass and the coil close together on a table and touch the stripped ends of the wire to opposite ends of the battery so that current flows through the battery. Since the coil is essentially a short circuit the wire will heat up so don't leave it connected to the wire for long (it will also drain the current from the battery). What happens to the needle of the compass?

Now, do you think that magnetism is matter or non matter?

Bradburn