NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Anti-matter Dynamics
Name: Roeland

Question:
Hi there, I've read a lot about anti-matter, but I'm wondering how much power develop when anti-matter and normal matter come together. Is it heavier then a atomic bomb or less???????

The energy released when matter and antimatter meet is equivalent to the total mass of the matter and antimatter (i.e., twice the mass of the matter). Only a very small fraction of the matter in an atomic bomb is converted to energy, so gram for gram, an atomic bomb is much much much less potent than a matter/antimatter explosion. Of course, you don't normally see grams of antimatter hanging around.

TimMooney