NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne G Force
Name: Seth

Question:
How do I measure g forces? Also, how would I subject a person to any number of g's for a period of time? Also, what are the effects of g forces on the body?

The measurement of g-forces is done with an accelerometer. The term 'g-force' is really a misnomer. It is actually the acceleration a mass experiences in a given situation. On earth, one g is about 9.8 m/s^2. Let us call it 10 m/s^2 as an approximation. If you are at 2 g's, you are at about 20 m/s^2 acceleration. Most people begin to feel very lightheaded and may even grey out at about 4 g's. That is why amusement rides try to stay under this acceleration.

---Nathan A. Unterman