NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Measuring Angular Momentum
Name: Ari

Question:
How would I go about solving the following problem: If you put a marble inside of a balloon, inflate it, and tie it, start spinning the marble around the balloon, how do I measure the various amounts of angular momentum inside of the balloon? i.e., As the marble starts to fall back down to its original state, how does the velocity increase, and how does that effect how quickly the marble will fall back down to its original state?

A lot depends on whether the balloon is held stationary or is part of the problem. Generally, the problem is too complicated to answer other than in very general terms (e.g., conservation of energy) or very specific terms (the equations of motion of the marble-balloon system, including friction, elasticity, etc.).