NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Speed Skating
Name: Lauren

Question:
I am taking a class on the physics of sports and I was interested in writing a paper on the physical properties utilized in speed skating, and especially in the advantage of using clap skates. However, I have not had very good luck at all in finding information on this topic. i was wondering if you might be able to provide some, or at least direct me to some other information source. thanks!

I suggest you look in your physics book on the subject of momentum. One of the advantages of the clap skates is the fact that they allow longer contact on the surface of the ice. Momentum is dependant on how long the force is in contact with the object. That is also why you follow through on golf swings, baseball bat swings, quarterback throws, etc.

Good luck.
C. Murphy