NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Energy Absorption
Name: Wayne

Question:
I am performing a drop test of an object. The mass, height, and srtarting velocity (0 m/s) are known. Measuring the impact with an accelerometer, I determine the acceleration at impact in g's. I know the period of the impact curve. How do I determine the energy absorbed?

This one is extremely easy. The energy absorbed depends only on the difference between the potential energy of the object at the beginning and its potential energy at the end of the drop - in this case, the difference is mgh, where m is the mass fo the object, g is the gravitational force of 9.8 N/kg, and h is the height difference between start and finish.

The force and time of the actual impact affect only how much time it takes to absorb this energy, not the total amount of energy absorbed.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.