NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Frictional and Movable Forces
Name: Ernest

Question:
Why does Force include come in frictional force and a movable force? What is the difference between the two forces? Why is the formula for force F=ma??

I am not sure I follow your first question, but I think it might have to do with the difference in static friction and kinetic friction (static meaning "at rest", and kinetic meaning "moving"). Let's take for instance a wooden box sitting still on a level concrete floor. The force required to start the box moving is the force required to overcome the friction between the floor and the box. It turns out the formula for that is (static friction * weight of the box) = force required to get the box moving. Now, once the box is moving, the only thing resisting the force pushing the box is the kinematics frictional force, which is less than the static frictional force. Once again the formula is (kinetic friction*weight of the box)= force required to keep the box moving. Static friction is always greater than kinetic friction, so the force required to get something moving is always greater than that required to keep it moving. F=ma is a simplified version of how to obtain force. There are other kinds of forces out there (magnetic, electrical, etc.). Look in a physics textbook to get a better idea (and description) about all kinds of forces. Good luck.