NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Small Particle Accelerator Liner

Question:
I have read a little bit about particle accelerators on the internet. I was wondering why it would not be possible to build a small particle accelerator liner or other wise that could be used to generate electricity for home/residential use. Even though the math seems complicated the design seems simple enough. Could someone build one almost homemade to be used to turn heat into electricity? I've read that these things can generate radiation so that would have to be a real consideration. If possible what type of system would be used steam or other, and where would one go to learn more about it. Last of all, would the department of energy even allow such a thing if someone attempted it assuming it could be done. I ask this question because I have considered using solar energy for a home but wondered why not a particle accelerator instead. If it could generate electricity and could be built cheaply it seemed like an option. I'm not a home owner yet just thinking about it. Well that's my question. As you can tell this question is not from a person well educated in this specific matter but I do appreciate your time as well as your response

I am not particularly familiar with the field of particle physics but do occasionally run across articles on the subject. The particle accelerators that I am familiar with use huge amounts of energy (I've never heard of one that used other than electrical energy as a source) and produce beams with very few particles at very high energy. They do not generate energy, they use energy to accelerate a small number of particles to high energy. They are expensive to build and take up large amounts of real estate. As a result, only governments, educational facilities, and large corporations can afford to build and maintain them and use them for research purposes to learn about physics of particles at the subatomic level.