NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne How CDs work

Question:
How does all the pictures and information get in a CD?

Somebody puts it there! There are special machines you can hook up to your computer (costing a few thousand dollars I think) that will take a blank CD-ROM and print whatever you want on it. I believe th process is just to use a laser (a lot stronger than the one used to read the CD) to punch little holes or make some other kind of mark in the surface of the disk.

Arthur Smith