NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Was Galileo married?

Question:
Was Galileo married?

Hmmm. I seem to recall he had daughters, but I do not ever recall hearing of a wife. Does not seem to be mentioned in any of my reference books either... From what I looked up, it seems Galileo was NOT married, but did have a mistress called Marina Gamba from Venice, by whom he had a son and two daughters. It seems Galileo's mother brought up the daughters and his mistress took care of the son. Or maybe it was the other way around (I forgot to note that down). Anyway, Galileo apparently was not much of a husband or father, although he did get along well with one of his daughters in later years.

Arthur Smith