NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lasers

Question:
Is it possible to create a laser that lases Hydrogen H Hydroxide. If you have any information about the lasering process nothing in general about lasers I would appreciate it.

Robert,

Chris,

It was not real clear what it is that you want to make lase so I cannot address whether it can be done. Let me address the second part of you question. To make a laser you have to have a medium and a resonator. The m medium would be your hydrogen compound, in your case, and the resonator (or resonant cavity) could be something as simple as two high quality mirrors, generally slightly concave. The medium must be brought to an excited state by some physical or chemical process (for example, by using an electrical spark or a flash lamp) and The excited state has to fit several requirements, among which are that it must be fairly long-lived so that a significant population can build up and it must be able to undergo a transition to a lower energy state (the lasing transition). This lower energy state must be short-lived so that you do not build up a significant amount of it (it bottle-necks or poisons the process). In order to proceed further you should find a good book on lasers. Unfortunately I do not have any specific suggestions but try your library. They should have some dedicated books at various levels, if not they should have some good encyclopedias.
Good luck!

gregory r bradburn