NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Suntans Through Windows

Question:
Can one obtain a suntan by sitting in front of a window?

In general, I would say yes, but the amount of tan first would be localized to the area of the skin exposed to the light, and the amount of tan for a given time would be less than if you were to try instead out in the back yard without any material between you and the sun. The reason I say this is a general answer is that many of today's "windows" are not made of glass but rather of various types of layered plastics. The plastics would tend to promote less tanning than the glass window. Again this is general information and would vary on the type of glass pane, plastic pane, its thickness, and whether or not there are shading materials embedded in it for shading. I hope this information at least partially answers your question. Thanks for using

rickru

And people who do a lot of driving in the same direction in the summer (for example crossing the country) will quickly notice tanning and even burning of their arms through their car windows.

Arthur Smith